2020 CAFTCAD Awards Eligibility and Criteria
Download this document as a .pdf- ENGLISH
Déchargez ce document en version .pdf- VERSION FRANCAIS
To promote and celebrate Canadian Costume Arts and Design and its contribution to the international world of film and television.
The annual CAFTCAD Awards Gala Event will recognize the breadth of talent, the scope of contemporary, period and fantasy elements, differing media platforms, formats and budgets, that exist within Canadian film and media costume design and arts.
Eligibility Period for Submissions
December 1, 2018 to December 1, 2019
Submissions via www.thecaftcadawards.com
Monday September 23, 08:00 - Monday November 18, 2019 23:59 EST
Last day to receive payment for Submissions
Wednesday November 20, 2019
Round One Voting by Selected Jury
Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - Sunday January 5, 2020
Official Nominees Announcement
Thursday, January 16, 2020
The Nobis Industry Icon Award Recipient Announcement Thursday, January 16, 2020
Awards Gala Tickets on sale
Monday, November 18, 2019- February 29, 2020
Round Two Voting by CAFTCAD membership on Official Nominees
Friday, January 24, 2020- Sunday February 16, 2020
Last Day to sign up as a CAFTCAD Member to be eligible to vote Monday February 3, 2020
CAFTCAD Awards Gala Evening Presentation of Official Winners at the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto, Ontario, Canada Sunday, March 1, 2020
To enter online
CAFTCAD AWARD CATEGORIES
Excellence in Crafts Award - Textiles
Excellence in Crafts Award - Building
Excellence in Crafts Award- Costume Illustration
Styling/Costume Design in Music Videos and Commercials
Costume Design in Original Web series
Costume Design in Short Film
Costume Design in Low Budget Feature (under $20,000 costume budget) Contemporary
Costume Design in Low Budget Feature (under $20,000 costume budget) Stylized (Period/Sci-Fi/Fantasy)
Costume Design in TV - Contemporary
Costume Design in TV - Period
Costume Design in TV - Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Costume Design in Film - Contemporary
Costume Design in Film - Period
Costume Design in Film - Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Costume Design in Film or Television - International
The Nobis Industry Icon Award
1. Eligibility Period: December 1, 2018 to December 1, 2019
2. The CAFTCAD AWARDS are open to both CAFTCAD and non-CAFTCAD members.
3. To qualify for the 2020 CAFTCAD Awards, entrant must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada. Productions submitted must be projects that have been produced within Canada (costumes must have primarily been created and built in Canada). For co-productions, a minimum of 50% of the creation and build of costumes must be within Canada. For COSTUME DESIGN IN FILM OR TELEVISION - INTERNATIONAL AWARD entrants please see #9 below for specific eligibility requirements.
4. All entrants must have received a credit in the category in which he or she is entered. If no on-air credit was available, crew lists or letters from Head of Department or Producer are acceptable. Letter should be emailed to email@example.com with the subject heading Submission/Name of Project/Credit
i.e Submission/Beachcombers the Movie/Credit
5. Limit maximum (five) 5 submissions for each entrant.
6. Film, television series, original web series, short films, video, commercial productions must have premiered at a film festival, had a theatrical opening, or launched on television/streaming services/online/VOD within the eligibility dates.
Eligibility Period: December 1, 2018 to December 1, 2019
7. For television, one (1) episode must have screened within the eligibility period, however only one (1) individual episode is to be submitted for nomination. Exclusions are made if episodes have different costume designers. E.g. Pilot is designed by one costume designer and series by another.
8. Web Series Costume Design submissions considered are only of original content. Web Series that support an existing Television Series are not considered original under these criteria, e.g the same production company creates the web series to accompany the television series.
9. For the Costume Design Award for Film or Television- International, entrant must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada. Projects may include Episodic Television, Web Series, TV movie or Feature length film. Submission should be no less than 50 minutes and up to 4 hours of programming. For television, six (6) episodes must have screened within the eligibility period, however only one (1) individual episode is to be submitted for nomination. Exclusions are made if episodes have different costume designers. E.g. Pilot is designed by one costume designer and series by another.
1. One is encouraged to submit themselves and their projects. Submissions can also be accepted from networks, production companies, unions, publicity and marketing coordinators, and talent agencies. A designated contact person must be listed on the application form. The Artist’s contact info must also be submitted in case of nomination.
2. Any misinformation on the submission will automatically disqualify applicant and/or winners.
3. A 15% service fee plus HST will be charged for any refunds due to inaccurate submission applications. Please read Eligibility and Criteria requirements.
4. Both submission and (where applicable) CAFTCAD Member fees must be paid at time of entry. Entries cannot be processed without payment.
5. Non-Member submission rates will apply to CAFTCAD Members if membership fees are outstanding.
6. An invoice for submission(s) will be emailed to the contact email provided. Application(s) will not be processed until payment is received. It may take up to 3 days to receive an invoice. Payments will only be accepted until Wednesday November 20, 2019.
7. A confirmation of submission will be sent out within 7 days of receipt.
8. Only entrants who are selected as CAFTCAD Awards 2019 Official Nominees will be notified by Thursday January 16, 2020.
9. If not enough submissions are received in any one category, the CAFTCAD Awards has the right to close the category for the year. Consequently, if many submissions are received in any one category, the CAFTCAD Awards may decide to create a new category of Award.
10. If category is cancelled due to limited numbers of entries, a refund will be issued 14 days after the close of the submission period.
11. It is the responsibility of the entrant to provide rights to download and host all video submissions for the purpose of viewing and award nomination voting by jury judges and members of CAFTCAD,(not for public viewing) or provide a contact at the streaming service where rights can be obtained.
Costume Design in Film, Costume Design in Television Categories, Costume Design in Film or Television- International
CAFTCAD Members in good standing (no outstanding membership fees at time of submission):
$110 plus HST, Non-CAFTCAD Members: $160 plus HST
Costume Design in Low-Budget Feature, Costume Design in Short Film or Web Series, Styling/Costume Design in Music Videos and Commercials
CAFTCAD Members in good standing (no outstanding membership fees at time of submission):
$85 plus HST, Non-CAFTCAD Members: $135 plus HST
Craft Categories- Excellence in Textiles, Building, Accessories, and Costume Illustration
CAFTCAD Members in good standing (no outstanding membership fees at time of submission)
$75 plus HST , Non-CAFTCAD Members $125 plus HST
Please note, if an entrant decides to join CAFTCAD along with this submission process, they must pay one year of membership fees. Membership application(s) available at https://www.caftcad.com/join/
Application will not be processed until membership fee is paid.
3. Fees must be received no later than Wednesday, November 20th 2019, or submission application(s) will be disqualified.
IF SELECTED AS OFFICIAL NOMINEE YOU MUST PROVIDE:
1. A trailer or edited part of the submitted program in HD Format spanning 30-120 seconds must be submitted to use for promotional purposes. To be screened behind winner at Awards Gala and/or be edited into a promotional reel of the Official CAFTCAD Awards Nominees of 2020. If one is not provided, Entrant grants CAFTCAD the right to choose and edit one based on submitted production. Please note that CAFTCAD has the right to showcase no segment if none is submitted.
2. Additional visual material such as actual costumes, accessories, sketches, design boards, photographs for display and promotion. If these are not available, entrant will still be eligible for nomination. Entrant must fill out the Display request form that will be emailed to nominee to have any of their work showcased at the Gala Event on March 1, 2020.
Entrants for Excellence in Costume Design for Film, Television, Low Budget-Film, Short Film, Web Series, Styling in Music Video or Commercial Design and Costume Design for Film and Television- International.
1. All Entrants are to fill out the submission form via the CAFTCAD Awards website www.thecaftcadawards.com/submissions. Completed applications are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Submission/Category/Name of Project
e.g. Submission/Contemporary Film/Beachcombers the Movie
2. The entry site will be open from 08:00 ET Monday, September 23 until Monday, November 18, 2019 23:59 ET. Entries for programmes that are broadcast during this eligibility period and received after the deadline will not be eligible for future CAFTCAD Awards.
An acknowledgment of receipt of submission will be emailed to all entrants.
All support material should also be included at this time.
3. Submissions must include:
- A link of the submitted program uploaded to Vimeo, You Tube or Google Drive and made available for Jury and CAFTCAD Voting Member viewing (provide password if protected) between November 25th2019 to February 16, 2020. Links that require paid subscription e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu will require provided access.
Additionally, video submission can be uploaded directly to the awards at www.thecaftcadwards.com/upload.
- A synopsis (maximum 110 words) of the program for which the entrant is being submitted.
-A biography (maximum 250 words) and head shot photograph (minimum 72 dpi in JPEG format) of the entrant.
- A designer’s vision statement (maximum 200 words). This statement can refer to inspiration, research, and/or resources used.
- Credits of entire costume department crew.
4. Please note: All spellings and titles submitted will be final and binding and any errors will not be edited once announced.
5. If synopsis, biography, designers or creators statement exceeds the word count allotted, only the intended amount of words will be taken from the beginning of the text. No further editing will occur.
For Excellence in Costume Design for Low- Budget Feature:
1. A signed letter from producer and/or film accountant attesting to final budget spent by the costume department which must be $20,000 CDN before HST or less. Copy of actual/final costume budget may be requested. Letter or final budget to emailed to email@example.com. Please include LOW-BUDGET FEATURE SUBMISSION LETTER in subject heading. This letter must be received no later than November 20, 2019 to qualify.
Entrants for Excellence in Crafts Awards: Textiles, Building, Accessories and Costume Illustration
1. Excellence in Craft Awards are for individuals or teams who create/build/manufacture a craft element on a specific production. These include leather work, armoury, breakdown artistry, textile painting and/or dyeing, accessory building, cutter, sewer, tailoring, costume illustration.
2. All Entrants are to fill out the submission form via the CAFTCAD Awards website: www.thecaftcadawards.com/submissions. Completed applications are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Submission/Category/Name of Project.
e.g Submission/Textiles/Beachcombers the Movie
3. Multiple entrants can be submitted per project. Entrants can be submitted for more than 1 project. Only one person as the primary recipient will be considered the designated person of contact.
4. The entry site will be open from 08:00 ET Monday, September 23rd until Monday, November 18th, 2019 23:59 ET. Entries for programmes that are broadcast during this eligibility period and received after the deadline will not be eligible for future CAFTCAD Awards.
An acknowledgment of receipt of submission will be emailed to all entrants.
All support material should also be uploaded at this time.
5. Upon entry submissions must include:
- A synopsis (maximum 110 words) of the program for which entrant is being submitted.
-A biography (maximum 175 words) and head shot photograph (minimum 72 dpi, in JPEG format) of entrant or team.
- Photographs of work from project submitted must be uploaded to a Google drive folder only, and link provided on submission form.
See Technical Requirements for Craft Submissions below.
- An artist’s statement ( maximum 200 words). This can refer to inspiration, research, process and resources used.
- A separate word document with captions that describes the process (not to exceed 40 words per caption), that matches up to images being submitted. E.g. Photo 1, Caption 1.
6. If synopsis, biography, artist statement or captions exceed the word count allotted, only the intended amount of words will be taken starting from the beginning of the text submitted. No further editing will occur.
Technical requirements for Craft Submissions
7. Up to 12 jpegs or individual pdfs (not merged) may be submitted.
- Borders and titles/crew/creative names allowed only on submitted images.
- In Building and Textile submissions, up to 3 images can appear on one page to show process and final costume.
8. For Illustration submissions, reference material can also be included in the 12 jpegs or pdfs.
9. Images should be at least 640×480 resolution, either vertically or horizontally oriented, or scanned at 300 DPI resolution. 8.5” X 11” or 11” X 8.5” size are the acceptable sizes allowed only.
10. Failure to adhere to this process may result in disqualification.
Entrants for The Nobis Industry Icon Award
1. This Award is presented to a Costume Designer or Costume Creator or Contributor who has distinguished themselves over the breadth of their career and their contributions to Canadian Costume Design and Arts for film, television and digital media.
2. There is no cost to submit an Entrant for an Industry Icon Award. Entrant(s) can be self submitted or submitted by a peer. If submitted by a peer, permission must be granted by the Entrant to be considered. Award Recipient will be selected by the CAFTCAD Executive Board.
3. The winning recipient will be announced on Thursday January 16, 2020.
4. Recipient will be asked to share their reel(s), show clips, portfolio, sketches, photos and any other display items they may have to illustrate their long standing career achievements to be assembled into a 2 minute showcase to screen during the Gala Event on March 1, 2020.
5. Recipient will receive two (2) tickets to the CAFTCAD Awards Gala.
6. Recipient must be available to attend the event in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on March 1, 2020.
7. Upon entry submissions must include:
-A biography (maximum 500 words) and head shot photograph (minimum 72 dpi in JPEG format) of entrant.
- Description (maximum 250 words) as to why entrant qualifies as a Canadian Costume Industry Icon.
- Resume/reel and/or online link to provide scope of career achievements.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY FOR ALL ENTRANTS
1. The Entrant agrees that the CAFTCAD Awards committee will rule on any dispute in matters relating to the entry, eligibility, or nominations and their decision shall be final.
2. The Entrant and all individuals submitted for consideration herein release CAFTCAD, its officers, the Award Committee, Jury Members, Sponsors and CAFTCAD Employees from all liability for any reason whatsoever in respect of the Entry and its consideration for an Award, including, without limitation, for any negligence or omission in the processing of the Entry or in its consideration for an award, however caused.
3. A film, program, episode, web series, and/or craft work can only be submitted one time. The same project cannot be submitted over multiple years. New episodes of the same program may be submitted.
4. Only one (1) episode of a television series may be submitted unless done by different Costume Designers.
DEFINITIONS OF FILM AND TELEVISION CATEGORIES
1. Contemporary design: costumes within the last 25 years.
2. Period design: older than 25 years in the past.
3. Sci-Fi/ Fantasy design: futuristic, or other-worldly.
4. Film Category includes features and made-for-television movies.
5. Television Category includes episodic, limited-series, and docudramas. Only one (1) episode is to be submitted.
6. A film includes documentaries.
7. A film includes TV movies.
8. A short film is defined as a production that is less than 50 minutes in duration, including credits.
9. Low-Budget Film is defined as a production of 50 minutes or more in duration that had a maximum of $20,000 (CDN) costume budget not including HST.
1. Round One Voting will be done by a selected Jury which will include, but is not limited to, Industry professionals such as Canadian fashion designers, historical fashion curators, media critics, production designers, fashion/costume/film educators, costume designers and CAFTCAD Members (not nominated in categories being juried). Round One of voting will occur between November 27, 2019- January 5, 2020.
2. Each Juror will review the submissions in their selected categories (Film, Television, Web Series, etc) and assign each entry a grade on this first ballot. These results are submitted to the Awards Committee for processing.
3. The top 3-5 productions or craft entrants (dependent on number of submissions received in each category) based on the calculated grades will be considered the Official Nominees and presented on a final ballot. This final ballot of nominees will be published and promoted as the Official Nominees.
4. Round Two Voting will be done by all CAFTCAD Members in good standing via an online voting program between January 24- February 16, 2020. These votes are combined with the Jury scores to calculate top selections. The top selections will be designated the Award Recipient of their respective category. The Award Recipient will be kept secret until the CAFTCAD Awards Gala on March 1, 2020
Please note: In case of Business, or Industry Support Members of CAFTCAD, only one (1) vote will be allotted for each membership.
The Nobis Industry Icon Award and the Costume Design for Film and Television - International are juried awards only. They will not be voted on by the CAFTCAD Membership. The Jury selected will include, but is not limited to, industry professionals such as Canadian fashion designers, historical fashion curators, media critics, production designers, fashion/costume/film educators, Costume Designers and CAFTCAD Members (not nominated in categories being juried).
TICKETS FOR THE 2020 CAFTCAD AWARDS GALA, March 1, 2020
1. Tickets are available for purchase as of November 18, 2019 through our website www.thecaftcadawards.com
2. Tickets for the Gala Event will include pre-event cocktails and passed h’ors d'oeuvres, the Awards Presentation Gala and after-party will take place at the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto, Canada.
3. Tickets are non refundable.
4. Official Nominees who are CAFTCAD Members will receive one (1) free ticket to the event. If tickets have been purchased previously to the Nominee announcement, no refunds or credits will be granted.
Official Nominees who are not CAFTCAD Members will receive a special Nominee price.
5. Last Day to sign up as a CAFTCAD Member Nominee to receive their free Nominee ticket is January 27, 2020.
6. Event Tickets are $200 plus HST each for Non Nominees and Industry Guests
● Official Nominees receive one (1) free ticket to Awards Gala Event.
● Official Nominees can purchase up to two (2) tickets at the Nominee Guest Price $100 (plus HST)
● Member event Tickets $125 plus HST
● Official Nominees for can purchase one (1) ticket $100 (plus HST) per nomination.
● Official Nominees can purchase up two (2) tickets at the Nominee Guest Price $150 (plus HST)